LABORATORY - CLS
Reports To: Laboratory Manager
Responsible for producing accurate and timely lab test results and phlebotomy as required. Maintains Clinical Laboratory inventory and performs various plating of specimens and staining under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager.
This position description is intended to identify some of the duties and responsibilities of this position. MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT reserves the right to modify, supplement, delete or augment the duties and responsibilities specified in this position description, at MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT�S sole and absolute discretion.
1. B.S. in appropriate field.
2. California State Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) license required.
3. Basic computer knowledge required.
4. Knowledge of physiology, biochemistry, bacteriology, hematology, immunology and serology preferred.
5. Ability to work with others, at all levels within the organization, and collaborate effectively.
6. Above-average interpersonal, problem-solving, and written and oral communication skills.
7. Must be a team player to all departments, confidential of sensitive data, respectful of all other staff members, considerate of other people�s time, and accountable for work output.
1. Professional behavior is demonstrated always, both when on duty and as a representative of the hospital outside of normal work hours.
2. A positive working relationship with patients, visitors, and facility staff is demonstrated. Respectful to managers and supervisors.
3. Organizational ability and time management is demonstrated.
4. Produces deliverable products on time, within budget with minimal direction.
5. Demonstrates the ability to compile and organize data using Microsoft Office Applications. Ability to make appropriate recommendations or conclusions, given the data obtained.
6. Maintains an organized set of records, delivers records immediately upon request, for the functions that are performed within the scope of this job.
7. Communicates appropriately, respectfully, and clearly to directors, managers, and coworkers. Accepts direction as provided without questioning authority, within the chain of command.
8. Performs all assigned tasks accurately.
9. Takes direction from others to include those employees of other departments with which he/she works on a temporary basis in accordance with the chain of command.
10. Demonstrates ability to effectively use office machines in the performance of job functions.
11. Answers phone calls, assists public, and forwards appropriately if necessary in a professional and friendly manner.
12. Other duties as assigned.
1. Follows standard precautions at all times.
2. Responsible for plating all routine cultures on all specimens submitted to the Clinical Laboratory.
3. Responsible for performing all routine stains on submitted specimens, including gram stains and Wright�s stains.
4. Responsible for inventory in laboratory store room. Reports needed supplies to the Laboratory Manager.
5. Initiates the meeting of responsibilities without prompting.
6. Demonstrates the values of team concept on a consistent basis.
7. Submits suggestions to improve the Clinical Laboratory�s efficiency.
8. Interacts with other Clinical Laboratory personnel in a professional manner.
9. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
10. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
1. Adheres to dress code; appearance is neat and professional.
2. Completes annual education requirements if applicable.
3. Maintains regulatory requirements.
4. Wears identification while on duty.
5. Attends annual evaluation and participates actively in this process.
6. Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work in designated time.
7. Attends all meetings as appropriate.
8. Exhibits the mission, ethics and goals of Mayers Memorial Hospital District in the performance of job duties.
1. Willingness to work beyond normal working hours and in other positions temporarily when necessary.
2. Is involved with personnel, visitors, and government agencies, etc., when necessary.
3. Must function independently, have personal integrity, have flexibility and the ability to work effectively with other personnel, clients and support agencies.
1. Sits, stands, bends, lifts, walks and moves intermittently during working hours.
2. Able to lift 20 lbs.
Position Type : Full Time
Shift : Other
Mayers Memorial Hospital District
43563 Highway 299 East; PO Box 459
Fall River Mills, Ca 96028