SKILLED NURSING FACILITY - MDS COORDINATOR
Reports To: Director of Long Term Care and Chief Nursing Officer
Employee Type: NON-EXEMPT
Reporting to the Director of Long Term Care (LTC), the MDS Coordinator works in conjunction with physicians, other nursing staff, residents, families and other facility departments to assure that the resident assessment tool, resident care plan and interdisciplinary team meeting are completed according to all Federal regulations and according to facility policy/procedure in order to provide optimum individualized nursing care for the residents of LTC service.
This position description is intended to identify some of the duties and responsibilities of this position. MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT reserves the right to modify, supplement, delete or augment the duties and responsibilities specified in this position description, at MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICTS sole and absolute discretion.
1. Prefer Registered Nurse from an accredited school of nursing with a current California Licensure. Will consider Licensed Vocational Nurse if unable to fill with registered nurse. LVN will be supervised by a registered nurse.
2. Current BLS certification (if working in a direct patient care role).
3. Good physical and mental health, a courteous and kind disposition.
4. Strong assessment and interviewing skills, knowledgeable regarding the care plan process and an interest in geriatric care and/or rehabilitation.
5. Good interpersonal skills, works well independently and with supervision. Communicates well both orally and in writing. Is able to communicate in English both verbally and in writing. Is able to see and hear adequately to perform functions of the job.
6. Is adaptable, able to follow directions, grasp new ideas and accept change.
7. A basic understanding of computer programs and work processing skills.
8. An accurate knowledge of sound medical and legal practice as well as Federal and State regulations related to long term care.
9. Possesses an interest in continuing education and self- development.
10. Broad general knowledge of principals of nursing care.
11. Fulfills responsibility to the facility by adhering to its philosophy and general policies.
12. Is dependable, reliable with good attendance and the ability to work with others, at all levels within the organization, and collaborate effectively.
13. Above-average interpersonal, problem-solving, and written and oral communication skills.
14. Must be a team player to all departments, confidential of sensitive data, respectful of all other staff members, considerate of other peoples time, and accountable for work output.
1. Always demonstrates a professional behavior, both when on duty and as a representative of the hospital outside of normal work hours.
2. Always demonstrates a positive working relationship with patients, visitors and facility staff. Respectfully to managers and supervisors.
3. Demonstrates organizational ability and time management.
4. Produces deliverable products on time, within budget with minimal direction.
5. Demonstrates the ability to compile and organize data using Microsoft Office Applications. Ability to make appropriate recommendations or conclusions, given the data obtained.
6. Maintains an organized set of records, delivers records immediately upon request, for the functions that are performed within the scope of this job.
7. Communicates appropriately, respectfully, and clearly to directors, managers, and coworkers. Accepts direction as provided without questioning authority, within the chain of command.
8. Performs all assigned tasks accurately.
9. Takes direction from others to include those employees of other departments with which he/she works on a temporary basis in accordance with the chain of command.
10. Demonstrates ability to effectively use office machines in the performance of job functions.
11. Answers phone calls, assists public, and forwards appropriately if necessary in a professional and friendly manner.
12. Performs other duties, as assigned.
13. Will attend the MDS training within 3 months of hire.
1. Completes the initial MDS assessment on new admissions, annual reassessment and change in status assessments within required time frames. Obtains data from a variety of sources to assure accuracy and completeness and documents same according to Federal and facility guidelines.
2. Follows resident assessment protocols to assure that all areas in the assessment process are considered and care planned accordingly. Documents decision making process according to facility policy.
3. Completes the care plan for all new admissions within required time frames and assures that all resident problems are addressed with specific and resident oriented and with appropriate interventions.
4. Coordinates the interdisciplinary team meeting and assures that all disciplines as well as the resident and/or family have input into the residents plan or care. Update care plan accordingly and assures that problems have been appropriately followed-up on.
5. Enters all assessment information into the computer and develops the care plan according to data entered. Is knowledgeable regarding the computer capabilities and maximizes its use.
6. Completes other assessment tools on admission and quarterly thereafter including, but not limited to, functional status, psychotropic and restraint assessments. Assures that problem areas are addressed on these assessment tools.
7. Receives report on a regular basis from charge nurses and other staff and assures that problems which arise are appropriately addressed on the care plan.
8. Interfaces with nursing administration, in-service education, social services, dietary, activities, medical staff and rehab services to assure that resident needs are being met and that plan of care is revised and updated as needed. Maintains a good working relationship with each resident and his/her family, significant other or conservator.
9. Assists the Director of Long Term Care with an on-going analysis and evaluation of SNF services. Assists with the development of policies and procedures relative to long term care and is knowledgeable regarding accreditation and licensing regulations as well as changes in policy and procedure mandated by licensing agencies.
10. Is an active member of the Long Term Care service, attends resident care conferences, mandatory in-services and departmental meetings and other meetings as needed. Promotes self-growth and development by reading and/or attending classes related to long term care and geriatric assessments.
11. Performs other tasks as delegated by the LTC DON or Administration.
12. Performs other duties, as assigned.
1. Adheres to dress code; appearance is neat and professional.
2. Completes annual education requirements if applicable.
3. Maintains regulatory requirements.
4. Wears identification while on duty.
5. Attends annual evaluation and participates actively in this process.
6. Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work in designated time.
7. Attends all meetings as appropriate.
8. Exhibits the mission, ethics and goals of Mayers Memorial Hospital District in the performance of job duties
9. Performs other duties, as assigned.
Hospital Performance Measures:
1. Please refer to Mayers Memorial Handbook pages --------.
1. Maintains the confidentiality of patient and facility records and information.
2. Discusses confidential or sensitive information only with appropriate parties privately-never in public.
1. Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with customers, co-workers and managers.
2. Effectively meets the needs of those served in a compassionate, responsive and courteous manner.
3. Demonstrate appropriate customer relations communications skill, actively listening, maintaining eye contact, using guest names, anticipating customer needs, and proactively offering assistance.
4. Answer the telephone with a smile, identifying your department and yourself and speak in a professional friendly tone.
Culture Sensitivity/Age Specific:
1. Respects cultural and religious differences.
2. Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide services appropriate to the age of the customers serviced in his/her assigned areas. The skills and knowledge needed to provide such care may be gained through education, training or experience.
1. Conducts hospital business in an ethical and lawful manner and be willing or will report any knowledge of real or potential fraud or abuse according to the Mayers Memorial Hospital Code of Conduct.
1. Is sensitive to the needs, feelings and capabilities of others. Approaches others in a non-threatening and pleasant manner and treats them with respect.
1. Must adhere to all Mayers Memorial Hospital policies and procedures.
2. Observes hospital/department dress code.
3. Wears hospital badge with name clearly visible.
1. Demonstrates knowledge of hospital and departmental safety regulations, disaster plans, infection control policies, fire safety regulations, and hazardous material protocol.
2. Always utilize Standard Precautions for infection control.
3. Demonstrates a working knowledge and understanding of National Patient Safety goals.
4. Responds to and uses disaster codes appropriately.
5. Maintain a quiet, clean and safe work environment.
1. Cooperate and perform duties in a way that helps your co-workers throughout the hospital perform their duties.
2. Address concerns with co-workers professionally and privately.
3. Actively participates as a member of a team or department to get the work completed. Demonstrates flexibility and cooperation. Helps to remove obstacles for the team to reach goals.
1. Looks for ways to better themselves and the hospital. Does not remain idle; is hard working, self-motivated
2. Able to demonstrate hospital values by his/her action.
1. Willingness to work beyond normal working hours and in other positions temporarily when necessary.
2. Is involved with personnel, visitors, and government agencies, etc., when necessary.
3. Must function independently, have personal integrity, have flexibility and the ability to work effectively with other personnel, clients and support agencies.
4. Work hours are determined based on needs of the department. Shifts may be eight, ten or twelve hour shifts, as agreed upon by the DON and CNO. This is a full time position with some hours scheduled for direct patient care responsibilities.
1. Sits, stands, bends, lifts, walks and moves intermittently during working hours.
2. Able to lift 20 lbs.
Position Type : Part Time
Shift : Day
Mayers Memorial Hospital District
43563 Highway 299 East; PO Box 459
Fall River Mills, Ca 96028