LABORATORY - PHLEBOTOMIST
Reports To: Laboratory Manager
Employee Type: NON-EXEMPT
Performs venipunctures and skin punctures competently and expediently. Has thorough knowledge of test requirements, assists in Clinical laboratory, as needed. Responsibilities include bleeding time tests, blood cultures, blood samples.
This position description is intended to identify some of the duties and responsibilities of this position. MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT reserves the right to modify, supplement, delete or augment the duties and responsibilities specified in this position description, at MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT'S sole and absolute discretion.
1. High School Diploma or Equivalent.
2. Eighty hours of training in the proper procedure to be employed in the performance of venipuncture and skin punctures under the supervision of the Chief Medical Technologist.
3. California Phlebotomy CPT I Certification.
4. One year experience in Lab setting preferred.
5. Ability to work with others, at all levels within the organization, and collaborate effectively.
6. Above-average interpersonal, problem-solving, and written and oral communication skills.
7. Must be a team player to all departments, confidential of sensitive data, respectful of all other staff members, considerate of other people's time, and accountable for work output.
1. Professional behavior is demonstrated always, both when on duty and as a representative of the hospital outside of normal work hours.
2. A positive working relationship with patients, visitors, and facility staff is demonstrated. Respectful to managers and supervisors.
3. Organizational ability and time management is demonstrated.
4. Produces deliverable products on time, within budget with minimal direction.
5. Demonstrates the ability to compile and organize data using Microsoft Office Applications. Ability to make appropriate recommendations or conclusions, given the data obtained.
6. Maintains an organized set of records, delivers records immediately upon request, for the functions that are performed within the scope of this job.
7. Communicates appropriately, respectfully, and clearly to directors, managers, and coworkers. Accepts direction as provided without questioning authority, within the chain of command.
8. Performs all assigned tasks accurately.
9. Takes direction from others to include those employees of other departments with which he/she works on a temporary basis in accordance with the chain of command.
10. Demonstrates ability to effectively use office machines in the performance of job functions.
11. Answers phone calls, assists public, and forwards appropriately if necessary in a professional and friendly manner.
12. Other duties as assigned.
1. Consistently draws blood competently and expediently with as little patient discomfort as possible.
2. Enters patient demographics in LIS system.
3. Identifies the patient - comparing patient information on the requisition to the patient's identification band before venipuncture is performed. The new standard is queries patients using two identifiers.
4. Labels and records all test tubes, logs procedures, files paperwork, enters charges, and answers phone calls.
5. Is knowledgeable about which color top tube to use and the volume of blood needed - knows test requirements.
6. Follows Standard Precautions at all times.
7. Disposes all sharps in a rigid sharps container.
8. Completes duties in a time efficient manner. Knows how to prioritize STAT orders, ASAP orders, scheduled orders and outpatients. Knowledge of unstable test required.
9. Assists laboratory technician and does clerical work when needed.
10. Follows policies and procedures for the Clinical Laboratory and the hospital.
1. Adheres to dress code; appearance is neat and professional.
2. Completes annual education requirements if applicable.
3. Maintains regulatory requirements.
4. Wears identification while on duty.
5. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
6. Attends annual evaluation and participates actively in this process.
7. Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work in designated time.
8. Attends all meetings as appropriate.
9. Exhibits the mission, ethics and goals of Mayers Memorial Hospital District in the performance of job duties.
1. Willingness to work beyond normal working hours, and in other positions temporarily when necessary.
2. Is involved with personnel, visitors, and government agencies, etc., when necessary.
3. Must function independently, have personal integrity, have flexibility and the ability to work effectively with other personnel, clients and support agencies.
1. Sits, stands, bends, lifts, walks and moves intermittently during working hours.
2. Able to lift 20 lbs.
Position Type : Part Time
Shift : Day
Hourly Wage: $16.00 - $21.70 per/hour
Mayers Memorial Hospital District
43563 Highway 299 East; PO Box 459
Fall River Mills, Ca 96028