SKILLED NURSING FACILITY - DIRECTOR OF NURSING
Reports To: Chief Nursing Officer
Employee Type: EXEMPT
Wage Scale: n/a
Under the direction of the Chief Nursing Officer, the Director of Nursing (DON) manages all aspects of the Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) in compliance with hospital policies and procedures, local, state and federal laws and regulations. Participates in the department's performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities. Assists in coordination efforts with the Acute in regards to patient care.
This position description is intended to identify some of the duties and responsibilities of this position. MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT reserves the right to modify, supplement, delete or augment the duties and responsibilities specified in this position description at MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT'S sole and absolute discretion.
1. Prefer California licensed registered nurse with a bachelor degree in nursing.
2. Prefer a master's degree with certification in geriatrics.
3. Two to five years' experience in a healthcare administrative setting with supervisory skills preferred.
4. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications - Outlook, Excel, Word, ect.
5. Ability to work with others, at all levels within the organization, and collaborate effectively.
6. Interpersonal, problem-solving, and written and oral communication skills.
7. Able to staff Long Term Care 24/7 utilizing experienced staff.
8. Must be a team player to all departments, maintain confidentiality of sensitive data, be respectful of all other staff members, be considerate of other people's time, and be accountable for work output.
9. Demonstrate highly developed organizational skills.
10. Be able to hire qualified LTC staff (LVN, CNA).
11. Able to set up budgets
12. Able to coordinate in-service trainings as mandated by CMS.
13. Able to examine current equipment and technology and upgrade accordingly.
14. Able to provide leadership abilities as well as be able to set goals for employees and facility.
1. Professional behavior is demonstrated always; both when on duty and as a representative of the hospital outside normal work hours.
2. Respectful of all staff and demonstrates a pursuit of customer service to all visitors to the facility.
3. Organizational ability and time management is demonstrated.
4. Produces deliverable products on time within budget with minimal direction.
5. Demonstrates the ability to compile and organize data. Ability to make appropriate recommendations or conclusions, given the data obtained.
6. Is able to complete annual evaluations on the date of hire for employees.
7. Performs all assigned tasks accurately.
8. Hires and manages personnel, including annual evaluations and any progressive disciplines, including terminations.
9. Other duties as assigned.
1. Schedules adequate staffing levels to meet the requirements mandated by governing agencies while mindful of overtime.
2. Responsible for all nursing activities performed at the Long-Term-Care facility. Assures the quality of patient care, including compliance with physician orders and that Drug Regimen Reviews are completed as assigned by charge nurses as soon as received.
3. Assists agency surveyors contracted firms or consultants with requests in a timely manner.
4. Approves Long Term Care payroll, keeps track of over time and reports biweekly on overtime and registry nursing.
5. Maintains a good working relationship within the department and with other departments.
6. Ensures staff meets in-service requirements; manages orientation of new staff members or delegates appropriate preceptor for orientation.
7. Maintains affiliation with professional organizations, attends continuing education classes, and ensures no lapse in professional licensure or certifications.
8. Participates in practice drills or mock surveys when they occur.
9. Maintains a viable policy and procedure manual in accordance with governing requirements with MMHD policies, as well as a registry nursing manual with orientation.
10. Provides data necessary to monitor performance improvement initiatives and works with Quality Department when issues are identified for improvement.
1. Adheres to dress code; appearance is neat and professional.
2. Maintains regulatory requirements.
3. Wears identification while on duty.
4. Attends annual evaluations and participates actively in this process.
5. Exhibits the mission, ethics and goals of MMH in the performance of job
Willingness to work beyond normal working hours, and temporarily in other positions when necessary.
Works effectively with medical staff, administration, personnel, visitors, and government agencies, etc.
Must function independently, have personal integrity and be flexibile.
Sits, stands, bends, lifts, walks and moves intermittently during working hours.
Able to lift 20 lbs.
Hospital Performance Measures:
1. Please refer to "Mayer's Memorial Handbook pages 15-16
1. Maintains the confidentiality of patient and facility records and information.
2. Discusses confidential or sensitive information only with appropriate parties privately-never in public.
1. Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with customers, co-workers and managers.
2. Effectively meets the needs of those served in a compassionate, responsive and courteous manner.
3. Demonstrate appropriate customer relations communications skill, actively listening, maintaining eye contact, using guest names, anticipating customer needs, and proactively offering assistance.
4. Answer the telephone with a smile, identifying your department and yourself and speak in a professional friendly tone.
Culture Sensitivity/Age Specific:
1. Respects cultural and religious differences.
2. Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide services appropriate to the age of the customers serviced in his/her assigned areas. The skills and knowledge needed to provide such care may be gained through education, training or experience.
1. Conducts hospital business in an ethical and lawful manner and be willing or will report any knowledge of real or potential fraud or abuse according to the Mayers Memorial Hospital District's Code of Conduct.
1. Is sensitive to the needs, feelings and capabilities of others. Approaches others in a non-threatening and pleasant manner and treats them with respect.
1. Must adhere to all Mayer's Memorial Hospital policies and procedures.
2. Observes hospital/department dress code.
3. Wears hospital badge with name clearly visible.
1. Demonstrates knowledge of hospital and departmental safety regulations, disaster plans, infection control policies, fire safety regulations, and hazardous material protocol.
2. Always utilizes Standard Precautions for infection control.
3. Demonstrates a working knowledge and understanding of National Patient Safety goals.
4. Responds to and uses disaster codes appropriately.
5. Maintains a quiet, clean and safe work environment.
1. Cooperates and perform duties in a way that helps your co-workers throughout the hospital perform their duties.
2. Address concerns with co-workers professionally and privately.
3. Actively participates as a member of a team or department to get the work completed. Demonstrates flexibility and cooperation. Helps to remove obstacles for the team to reach goals.
1. Looks for ways to better themselves and the hospital. Does not remain idle; is hard working, self-motivated
2. Able to demonstrate hospital values by his/her action.
Position Type : Full Time
Shift : Day
Hourly Wage: $46.95 - $56.96 per/hour
Mayers Memorial Hospital District
43563 Highway 299 East; PO Box 459
Fall River Mills, Ca 96028