PHYSICAL THERAPIST - ASSISTANT (PTA)
Reports To: Director of Physical Therapy
Employee Type: EXEMPT X NON-EXEMPT
Under the direction of the Director of Physical Therapy or other licensed Physical Therapist, the Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) is responsible for providing physical therapy to patients at MMHD.
This position description is intended to identify some of the duties and responsibilities of this position. MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT reserves the right to modify, supplement, delete or augment the duties and responsibilities specified in this position description, at MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT'S sole and absolute discretion.
1. Graduate of an APTA approved Physical Therapist Assistant Program and licensed by the State of California to provide PTA services. A PTA who has challenged the State Board examination and has been awarded state licensure may also be considered.
2. Experience in acute care, skilled nursing and out-patient physical therapy is preferred. A new graduate candidate may also be considered.
3. Demonstrates proficiency in performing physical therapy procedures and modalities and in assessing the effects of these
4. Ability to work with others, at all levels within the organization, and collaborate effectively.
5. Above-average interpersonal, problem-solving, and written and oral communication skills.
6. Must be a team player to all departments, confidential of sensitive data, respectful of all other staff members, considerate of other people's time, and accountable for work output.
1. Always demonstrates a professional behavior, both when on duty and as a representative of the hospital outside of normal work hours.
2. Always demonstrates a positive working relationship with patients, visitors and facility staff. Respectfully to managers and supervisors.
3. Demonstrates organizational ability and time management.
4. Produces deliverable products on time, within budget with minimal direction.
5. Demonstrates the ability to compile and organize data using Microsoft Office Applications. Ability to make appropriate recommendations or conclusions, given the data obtained.
6. Maintains an organized set of records, delivers records immediately upon request, for the functions that are performed within the scope of this job.
7. Communicates appropriately, respectfully, and clearly to directors, managers, and coworkers. Accepts direction as provided without questioning authority, within the chain of command.
8. Performs all assigned tasks accurately.
9. Takes direction from others to include those employees of other departments with which he/she works on a temporary basis in accordance with the chain of command.
10. Demonstrates ability to effectively use office machines in the performance of job functions.
11. Answers phone calls, assists public, and forwards appropriately if necessary in a professional and friendly manner. Assists in front office when needed.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Provides treatment as directed by the primary Physical Therapist and communicates immediately if the treatment plan might need to be changed.
2. Observes, evaluates and documents the effect of treatments. Communicates the effects verbally or through charting.
3. Maintains an organized patient record that is legible and includes objective findings. All chart entries are timed and dated.
4. Maintains a treatment environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of healthcare related errors.
5. Maintains department cleanliness. Cleans hands before and after patient contact.
6. Demonstrates safe and effective use of all modalities and procedures utilized in the clinic.
7. Interacts professionally with patients and families and includes them in the plan of care
8. Works cooperatively with other staff creating a team approach to patient care
9. Organizational ability and time management is demonstrated through effective patient scheduling and completion of patient charting, according to policy.
10. Communicates appropriately, respectfully, and clearly to physicians, directors, managers, and coworkers. Accepts direction as provided without questioning authority, within the chain of command.
11. Assists in ordering supplies and maintains adequate PAR levels.
12. Works with patients and families to ensure a safe transition to the next level of care. Uses teaching methods that match any identified learning needs.
13. Uses age appropriate treatment strategies
14. Demonstrates safe and effective use of physical therapy modalities used at Mayers Memorial Hospital District including, but not limited to: spinal traction, ultra sound, electrical stimulation, infra-red light.
15. Demonstrates safe and effective use of physical therapy procedures including, but not limited to: therapeutic exercise, soft tissue mobilization, gait training, neuromuscular re-education, orthotic/prosthetic training, taping.
16. Works within the guidelines of the California State Practice Act.
17. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Maintains PTA license without any lapses
2. Maintains BCLS certification without any lapses
3. Stays updated and current with Physical Therapy practice through independent study, continuing education and interaction with peers
4. Participates in quality improvement projects
5. Adheres to dress code; appearance is neat and professional.
6. Completes annual education requirements.
7. Maintains regulatory requirements.
8. Wears identification while on duty.
9. Attends annual evaluation and participates actively in this process.
10. Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work in designated time.
11. Attends all meetings as appropriate.
12. Exhibits the mission, ethics and goals of Mayers Memorial Hospital District in the performance of job duties.
1. Willingness to work beyond normal working hours.
2. Is involved with personnel, visitors, and government agencies, etc., when necessary.
3. Must function independently, have personal integrity, have flexibility and the ability to work effectively with other personnel, clients and support agencies.
1. Sits, stands, bends, lifts, walks and moves intermittently during working hours.
2. Able to lift 50 lbs.
Position Type : Full Time
Shift : Day
Hourly Wage: $24.00 - $34.00 per/hour
Mayers Memorial Hospital District
43563 Highway 299 East; PO Box 459
Fall River Mills, Ca 96028