ADMINISTRATION - CHIEF NURSING OFFICER
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Employee Type: Exempt
Develop goals, objectives, standards of performance, policies and procedures in order to provide specified nursing services in accordance with administrative guidelines. To organize the nursing department to meet legal, organizational and medical staff guidelines in order that optimum health care delivery may be implemented. To organize, direct, plan, assess, implement and lead the nursing services of the Mayers Memorial Hospital District to include acute care and skilled nursing care.
This position description is intended to identify some of the duties and responsibilities of this position. MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT reserves the right to modify, supplement, delete or augment the duties and responsibilities specified in this position description, at MAYERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT'S sole and absolute discretion.
• Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
• Master's Degree preferred
• Current licensure in good standing in the state of California
• Three years experience in Executive level hospital management, past experience as Chief Nursing Officer strongly preferred
• Membership and participation in professional organizations preferred
• Meets The Joint Commission and Title 22 requirements for Administrator of Nursing Services
• Broad general knowledge of principles of nursing care, as well as willingness to mentor and support clinical nursing staff
• Ability to apply sound principles of administration and supervision
• Good problem solving capabilities
• Above-average interpersonal, problem-solving, and written and oral communication skills
• Must be a team player to all departments, confidential of sensitive data, respectful of all other staff members, considerate of other people's time, and accountable for work output
• Professional behavior is demonstrated always, both when on duty and as a representative of the hospital outside of normal work hours.
• A positive working relationship with patients, visitors, and facility staff. Respectful to managers and supervisors.
• Organizational ability and time management is demonstrated.
• Defines the overall philosophy and objectives of Nursing Services in accordance with those of Mayers Memorial Hospital District and interprets same to staff.
• Plans, organizes, directs and leads the Nursing Service. Service include: Acute Care Nursing, Surgery, Outpatient Medical Services, Social Services, Emergency Services, Skilled Nursing, Activities, Utilization Review, Infection Control, Quality and Staff Development.
• Assess the quality of care rendered by the Nursing Service and defines and maintains the quality standards of practice within the facility.
• Initiates the development and implementation of policies and procedures that govern the Nursing Service in collaboration with appropriate services. Assures that all Nursing Service manuals are reviewed, revised and updated on a regular basis.
• Establishes and maintains an organizational plan consistent with the overall hospital organization.
• Develops and maintains clinical and administrative records. Reports as required. Maintains confidentiality.
• Establishes staffing requirements and policies for recruitment, selection and placement of qualified personnel. Ensures competencies and maintains a system which indicates qualifications, experience and accomplishments of each member of the department.
• Establishes and maintains job specifications and descriptions for Nursing Service personnel. Establishes standards for the evaluation of personnel performance. Assures that performance evaluations are done objectively, accurately and in a timely manner.
• Promotes and maintains harmonious and effective relationships and communications within the Nursing Service and with the facility.
• Oversees a staff education program for orientation, continuing education and skill training programs for nursing personnel.
• Plans, develops, implements and manages the annual budget for Nursing Services. Reviews financial reports monthly.
• Participates in planning, decision making and policy formulation and Strategic Planning as a member of the administrative team.
• Keeps the administrative team informed of Nursing Service activities.
• Collaborates with the medical Staff regarding clinical aspects of patient/ resident care. Represents Nursing Service on various Medical Staff committees.
• Manages and supports Director of Nursing in Acute Care and Skilled Nursing departments.
• Provides guidance and counsel to supervisory staff as well as to other nursing staff. Provides adequate communication mechanisms within the service and conducts regular conferences with supervisors and nursing personnel.
• Assures that the continuous Quality Improvement process is accomplished on an ongoing basis.
• Is knowledgeable regarding State and Federal regulations and develops policies, procedures and protocols accordingly. Coordinates information for regulatory agency reviews and participates in all facility surveys including plans of correction.
• Develops short and long term goals and objectives in consultation with administration and consistent with the facilities philosophy. Participates in facility projects and public relations programs.
• Investigates irregularities and policy violations and takes corrective action as needed. Is knowledgeable regarding the disciplinary action process and follows the facility policy and procedure. Documents all actions taken and reports to administration as needed.
• Reviews and monitors work schedules, work hours, and duty assignments of Nursing Service personnel and effects change as needed. Analyzes and evaluates nursing and related services to assure quality patient/ resident care and appropriate levels of productivity. Keeps informed regarding patient/ resident census and acuity. Makes nursing service rounds on a regular basis.
• Reviews Risk Event Reports and Concerns/Complaints. Directs appropriate action as needed. Reports pertinent information to administration.
• Consults with pharmacy and medical staff concerning control and administration of medications. Ensures that Nursing Service personnel are knowledgeable on drug details.
• Promotes and encourages professional growth and development of all Nursing Service personnel through attendance at workshops, seminars, and conferences. Investigates new nursing techniques and practices for application as appropriate.
• Ensures proper and economical use of equipment, supplies and facilities for maintaining patient care. Investigates new equipment, supplies and products and recommends purchases within budgetary process.
• Actively participates in facility meetings and serves as a consultant to other departments as requested.
• Performs other tasks as delegated by Administration.
• Works with other members of Administrative team to cover Administrator On Call Schedule.
• Adheres to dress code; appearance is neat and professional.
• Completes annual education requirements if applicable.
• Maintains regulatory requirements.
• Wears identification while on duty.
• Attends annual evaluation and participates actively in this process.
• Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work in designated time.
• Attends all meetings as appropriate.
• Exhibits the mission, ethics and goals of Mayers Memorial Hospital District in the performance of job duties.
• Hours are generally 0800-1700, but may vary according to the needs of the service. Responsibility is for twenty-four hour operation of the service. This is a full time position.
• Willingness to work beyond normal working hours, and in other positions temporarily when necessary.
• Is involved with personnel, visitors, and government agencies, etc., when necessary.
• Must function independently, have personal integrity, have flexibility and the ability to work effectively with other personnel, clients and support agencies.
• Sits, stands, bends, lifts, walks and moves intermittently during working hours.
• Able to lift 20 lbs.
Position Type : Full Time
Shift : Day
Salary: $125,000.00 to $135,000.00 per year
Mayers Memorial Hospital District
43563 Highway 299 East; PO Box 459
Fall River Mills, Ca 96028