Tuesday, January 31, 2017
About Beatriz Vasquez, Ph.D.
Beatriz Vasquez, Ph.D. was appointed to the MMHD Board on December 2014 and holds the Secretary position. She also serves on the Quality Committee and as ex-officio Board Director at the Mayers Intermountain Healthcare Foundation.
Dr. Vasquez has scientific background and received her education in Argentina. She did research in Neuroscience for over 19 years at UC Irvine and Loma Linda VA Hospital where authored over 40 publications in the areas of Mechanisms of Tolerance/Addiction, Memory, Learning, Aging , and the effects of Electromagnetic Radiation on Circadian Rhythms. Next she entered the California Community College arena first as a Biology Professor and then as an administrator (Dean, Vice President) at three different colleges. She retired in July 2014.
Dr. Vasquez believes in the importance of the Mayers Memorial Hospital to the health of the intermountain area and decided to volunteer for this position knowing that she could transfer her skills sets (leadership, governance, quality, and finances) to accomplish the fiduciary responsibility it requires.
Beatriz resides in Fall River Mills with her husband and both look forward to visits from their two children and three grandchildren.
1. Member of the Education Committee at the Association of California Hospital Districts (ACHD)
2. Board Director of the Spring River Foundation
3. Board Director of the Fall River Valley Library
4. Member of the American Association of University Women (AAUW)
In 1949 a Chamber of Commerce hospital committee was formed and began taking the first steps toward a visionary project -Ward Memorial Hospital. The Chamber's "Hospital Committee" compiled the costs of building a new hospital to present to taxpayers -the first hospital bond issue was defeated in 1950. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. After one private hospital discontinued practice due to inadequate facilities, leaving only one that could handle just 23 patients, the need for a county hospital was again fronted to the citizens in 1953. With the support of local doctors, civic groups and women's clubs, a bond election was called in March of 1954. In June of 1954 the voters voted six-to-one in favor of a county hospital.