Tuesday, January 31, 2017
Awards & Honors
MMHD RECEIVES ANOTHER QUALITY CARE AWARDRecognized as a "Zero Hero" for Central Line Blood Stream Infections
FALL RIVER MILLS, CA, February 4, 2013 - The Hospital Council of Northern and Central California and the Patient Safety First Collaborative recognized Mayers Memorial Hospital District as a "Super Zero Hero." Mayers was awarded for this achievement after reaching and maintaining a zero rate in Central Line Blood Stream Infection. A central line is an IV line which is inserted into a vein near the heart or neck to administer fluids or blood and/or withdraw blood specimens for laboratory testing. It is typically used in emergency situations or for diagnostic purposes when requested by a physician.
Out of approximately 1,852 patient days in 2012, MMHD had 130 days of patients with a central line, with no infections.
Mayers Infection Control Department has been hard at work in training and educating staff with 1) the proper hand hygiene and aseptic techniques; 2) use of the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) while changing central line dressings; 3) using chlorhexidine skin preparation for cleansing and antisepsis of insertion site; and 4) being aware of potential sign and symptoms of infections.
This award backs another quality care award received just last November by the Hospital Council of Northern and Central California. Hospitals were recognized for achieving and maintaining zero in sepsis mortality and/or reducing early elective deliveries for more than a year.
In 1949 a Chamber of Commerce hospital committee was formed and began taking the first steps toward a visionary project -Ward Memorial Hospital. The Chamber's "Hospital Committee" compiled the costs of building a new hospital to present to taxpayers -the first hospital bond issue was defeated in 1950. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. After one private hospital discontinued practice due to inadequate facilities, leaving only one that could handle just 23 patients, the need for a county hospital was again fronted to the citizens in 1953. With the support of local doctors, civic groups and women's clubs, a bond election was called in March of 1954. In June of 1954 the voters voted six-to-one in favor of a county hospital.